Seyed Mahmood Mousavi
Seyed Mahmood Mousavi (Arabic: سيّد محمود موسوي) is the president of Hejrat Foundation and Masjid Al-Nabi of West Covina, California (1505 W Garvey Avenue North, West Covina, CA 91790-2138), and, according to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), "a former interrogator for the Islamic Revolutionary Court in Iran," was arrested by Federal authorities on August 31, 2007.
The trial of Seyed Mahmood Mousavi
Eventually, the case of Mahmood Mousavi went to federal court. On April 24, 2008, he was convicted of filing false tax returns, omitting Iranian military group membership on naturalization forms, and violating the U.S. economic embargo against Iran. He was sentenced to spend almost two years in prison.
Mousavi ran a pro-Velayat-e Faqih Khomeinist center, which was frequented quite often by none other than Nabi Raza Mir (a.k.a. Nabi Raza Abidi), the Bay Area's extremist mullah. This is not surprising as "birds of a feather flock together." Nabi Raza was at home at Hejrat Foundation and Masjid Al-Nabi. Indeed, one of the Iranian former board members in Mousavi's organization, Dr. Shahriar Heidary, now sits on the board of directors of Shia Association of Bay Area (Saba Mosque of San Jose) per the explicit request of Nabi Raza.
The sentence of Seyed Mahmood Mousavi
On June 30, 2008, Seyed Mahmood Mousavi was sentenced by United States District Judge Percy Anderson.
Mousavi served his sentence in the Communication Management Unit (CMU) at the Federal Correctional Complex (FCC) in Terre Haute, Indiana. FCC is a maximum security prison for adult males. It is located at the intersection of State Road 63 and Springhill Drive, two miles (3 KM) southwest of Terre Haute, Indiana, United States. FCC falls under the jurisdiction of the Federal Bureau of Prisons.
The medium security Communication Management Unit was created by the Justice Department. It houses about 213 inmates. The CMU monitors all telephone calls and mail. It also requires that all inmate conversations occur in English unless special permission is arranged for conversations in other languages.
The Federal Bureau of Prisons created the CMU in response to criticism that it had not been adequately monitoring the communications of prisoners. "By concentrating resources in this fashion, it will greatly enhance the agency's capabilities for language translation, content analysis and intelligence sharing," according to the Bureau's summary of the CMU.
The CMU is located in the former death row, and was opened in December 2006.
Release of Seyed Mahmood Mousavi
Seyed Mahmood Mousavi was released from prison on Monday, January 25, 2010.
Seyed Mahmood Mousavi in popular culture
Seyed Mahmood Mousavi was mentioned in the rap video Ya RAFIC.
Ya RAFIC was released by the Persian-American rap artist Ebrahim Mohseni.
Learn more about Mousavi's case:
- Case ID: 2:07-cr-00513-PA
- United States Attorney: Thomas P. O’Brien
- Assistant United States Attorney, Criminial Division Chief: Christine C. Ewell
- Assistant United States Attorney, National Security Section: Susan J. De Witt
- Federal prisoner ID of Seyed Mahmood Mousavi: 45193-112.
Notes and references
- Seyed Mahmood Mousavi is also known as Seyed Mahmoud Mousavi; a.k.a. Sayed Musawi. His true given name is Mahmood. The word "seyed," an honorific, is Arabic for "master" and, in alternative context, "mister." Mousavi prepended "Seyed" to his true first name to force others to address him as "master." His excuse for doing so is his claim to be a descendant of Prophet Muhammad, PBUH&HF.
- Federal Bureau of Investigation - Los Angeles Field Division - Press Release - Department of Justice
- Inmate Locator: SEYED MAHMOOD MOUSAVI
Article publishing history
This article page was created on 30 August 2010.
- FBI News Release from the office of U.S. Attorney Thomas P. O’Brien by Thom Mrozek: Iranian Native Convicted of Violating Trade Embargo...
- PDF Document: Mousavi's 3rd Superseding Indictment
- Petition: Free Seyed Mousavi on Bail @ iPetitions.com
- Free Seyed Mahmood Mousavi: Give freedom to Seyed Mahmood Mousavi @ causes.com
- I Stand against LA Persian Channels' LIES about Mr. Mousavi @ Facebook
- Free Seyed Mousavi! @ Facebook
- Hejrat Foundation
- Federal Correctional Complex, Terre Haute
Email us @ email@example.com